Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers
AFCEA Educational Foundation Opportunities For Teachers of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
The Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers will not be offered in 2017.
Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers are named after the foundation’s first executive director Vice Adm. Samuel L. Gravely Jr., USN (Ret.), who initiated AFCEA’s science and technology teach tool grants program.
The AFCEA Educational Foundation is dedicated to providing support to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) students and teachers. Since 2010, AFCEA Educational Foundation has invested more than $1.2 million in teachers who are providing innovative STEM learning opportunities in their classrooms. These funds have directly impacted more than 60,000 students in elementary through high school across the United States.
The Gravely Grants provide funding to U.S. elementary, middle and high schools to promote STEM innovation in the classrooms with emphasis on elementary academic programs. Grants range between $500 and $1,000 to the school for the awarded program. This is a joint effort between AFCEA chapters and the AFCEA Educational Foundation to help augment the cost to students for activities or tools inside or outside of the classroom, such as robotics clubs, cyber clubs and other STEM related activities to promote STEM to students.
Guidelines for Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers:
- The teacher must be teaching science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) at an elementary, middle or high school in the US. Teachers working in schools with economically disadvantaged students will be considered first. The awards are not limited to public schools.
- Selection will be based on the teacher's skills, his/her potential to use the funds well and financial need.
A detail proposal is required stating the following:
- Title of program/project
- Description of program/project
- Number of students involved/impacted
- Cost of program/project
- How the funds will be used
- A letter of recommendation from the principal of the school.
- Grants are awarded in October for the 2016-2017 school year.
For general questions on eligibility, please email us.
AFCEA Chapter Level Grants for STEM Teachers
AFCEA Chapters also provide grants to STEM Teachers. To apply through a participating AFCEA Chapter - Click here to find a Chapter in your local area.
2010-2014 STEM Teacher Scholarship Winners