1) Start with a DOD hardware spec (An OS API). Hardware that only functions to support API no frills
2) Custom OS to run on new hardware.
3) New hardware interface specs that do just one thing (not like USB that does it all)
4) Use APPLE architecture as a starting point.
5) Have interface ports on own processor (separate from the OS)
6) Have network on own processor (separate from the OS)
7) Build in security from the start.
8) Standardize on a software language that is easy to read and testable.
9) Build a whole ship architecture around a secure 'Kuberneties' like solution.
10) 2 year 10 million dollar award be for best design, open to all. (with prototype) .. all open source.
11) Oversee project with one very smart guy.
More information about text formats