Office of Naval Research to Hold Second Global-X Challenge
The challenge launches this week.
The Office of Naval Research (ONR) Global will launch the second round of Global-X, a nine-month international science challenge worth up to $500,000, to encourage groundbreaking research from around the world.
The purpose of the Global-X Challenge is to discover, disrupt and help drive basic and applied research for later development and delivery of revolutionary capabilities to the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, the commercial marketplace and the public. ONR Global is interested in receiving white papers and proposals on the following challenge topics:
- Alternate navigation at high latitude
- High-latitude, high-bandwidth communications
- persistent polar perception
Researchers from academia and industry may participate. ONR Global expects, but does not require, that multinational teams will consist of at least two research entities outside of the United States, whether from academia, industry and/or the broad research community. Researchers from U.S. research entities may also participate but are not required.
Live Webinar launch
The Global-X Challenge will officially launch during a kick-off webinar set for April 29 at 7 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Interested applicants can register for and view the webinar at the following link: https://goto.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1456602&tp_key=b2ae9e815d
Applicants can also ask questions during the webinar, which will be recorded and posted to a public Global-X website for subsequent review. Furthermore, more information on the challenge statements, important dates, official guidelines and frequently asked questions can be found on the Global-X website: https://www.onr.navy.mil/Global-X
Significant Dates and Times
- White Paper Submission Date: May 28, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. EDT
- Notification of White Paper Valuation: June 11, 2021, by 5 p.m. EDT
- Full Proposal Submission: July 9, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. EDT
- Notification of Selection: Full Proposals: July 30, 2021, by 5 p.m. EDT
- Grant Awards: Sept. 24, 2021, by 5 p.m. EDT