STEM Major Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
AFCEA Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Major Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
Deadline: April 12, 2019
Application Opens in January 2019
STEM Major Scholarships Available
- STEM Major Scholarship ($2,500)
- Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship ($3,000)
- Cyber Security Scholarship ($5,000)
NOTE: There is ONE application form for all STEM Major Scholarships; applicants will be considered for all AFCEA STEM Major scholarship opportunities for which they are qualified.
STEM Major Scholarship
NOTE: Failure to meet requirements could affect scholarship eligibility.
You are NOT eligible to apply:
1. If attending a Community College and planning to attend a four-year university
2. If attending a two-year college
3. If you are a freshman or a senior in a four-year university
4. If you are a high school senior
A current overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in their current program at an accredited U.S. college or university required at the time of application.
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents.
Applications will be accepted from current eligible undergraduate level students majoring in STEM fields that meet the mission of AFCEA, to include Cyber Security, Intelligence and Homeland Security-related disciplines. Online programs are eligible.
Qualifying STEM majors related to the mission of AFCEA include: Biometry/Biometrics, Computer Engineering, Computer Forensics Science, Computer Programming, Computer Science, Computer Systems, Cybersecurity, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Geospatial Science, Information Science, Information Technology, Information Resource Management, Intelligence, Mathematics, Network Engineering, Network Security, Operations, Research, Physics, Robotics Engineering, Robotics Technology, Statistics, Strategic Intelligence, and Telecommunications Engineering
*Scholarship awards are subject to availability of funding. Scholarship awards are restricted to tuition, course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses at the university.
Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship
Applicants for the Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship must meet all of the eligibility requirements of the STEM Majors Scholarship. Additionally, applicants must be a woman or minority student. Students attending HBCUs are particularly encouraged to apply.
Cyber Security Scholarship
Applicants for the Cyber Security Scholarship must meet all of the eligibility requirements of the STEM Majors Scholarship. Additionally, applicants must be in one of the following majors:
- Cyber Security
- Cyber Attack
- Computer Science
- Digital Forensics
- Information Technology
- Electronic Engineering
- Other field related to the support of U.S. Cyber enterprises
Applications will be accepted starting mid-January. A link to the online application form will be posted at the top of this page. In addtion to basic information, there are two short answer questions:
- Please provide a brief synopsis of your current academic program including degree requirements, anticipated graduation date, and why you chose the program.
- Please provide a personal statement outlining your career goals and explain how they will contribute to the American work force in the areas related to STEM, defense, communications, information technology, national security, and/or information systems and the mission of AFCEA.
There is also a short-answer section for a brief summary of financial need.
In addition to the online application, other required documents include:
- Current official transcript issued by the school Registrar's Office
- Minimum two letters of recommendation required from faculty in the major of study
Instructions for electronic submission of the recommendation letters will be provided to the endorsers automatically as part of the on-line application process - please do not mail separately. Letters of Recommendation are not accepted from applicants. If the endorser does not receive the email, letters can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters will be addressed to:
AFCEA Educational Foundation
4400 Fair Lakes Court
Fairfax, VA 22033
Official transcripts reflecting all college-level study will also be required by the deadline date - electronic submission preferred. If your transcript does not show your classes in progress, please submit document showing current classes.
If electronic submission is not possible, please send official document to the AFCEA address listed above to arrive by midnight of the deadline date. No applications are accepted on the deadline date.
Optionally, applicants may also submit a third letter of recommendation or resume.
Applications must be complete, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, by April 12, 2019.
Contact Us: EMAIL