Opportunities For Teachers of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
Gravely & Paige Grants for STEM Teachers
The AFCEA Educational Foundation is dedicated to providing support to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) students and teachers. Since 2010, AFCEA Educational Foundation has invested more than $1.2 million in teachers who are providing innovative STEM learning opportunities in their classrooms.
The Gravely & Paige Grants provide funding to elementary and middle schools in the United States to promote STEM innovation in the classrooms with emphasis on academic programs. Grants of up to $1,000 are awarded. This is a joint effort between AFCEA chapters and the AFCEA Educational Foundation to help augment the cost to students for activities or tools inside or outside of the classroom, such as robotics clubs, cyber clubs and other STEM related activities to promote STEM to students.
The Gravely Grants for Elementary School STEM Teachers are named after the foundation’s first executive director Vice Adm. Samuel L. Gravely, Jr., USN (Ret.), who initiated AFCEA’s science and technology teaching tool grants program.
The Paige Grants for Middle School STEM Teachers are named after LTG Emmett Paige, Jr., USA (Ret.).
Guidelines for Gravely & Paige Grants for STEM Teachers:
1. The teacher must be teaching science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) at an elementary or middle school in the United States. Teachers working in schools with economically disadvantaged students will be considered first. The awards are not limited to public schools.
2. Selection will be based on the teacher's skills, his/her potential to use the funds well and financial need.
3. A detailed proposal is required stating the following:
Title and description of program/project
Number of students involved/impacted
Goals & objectives
Methods & procedures
Method of evaluating program/project
Budget describing how the funds will be used
4. Applications must include a letter of recommendation from the principal of the school. Instructions for submission will be sent directly to the principal once the application is submitted.
5. Grants of up to $1,000 are awarded in September for the 2021-2022 school year.
Deadline is July 31, 2021 to apply. No applications will be accepted on the deadline date.
For general questions on eligibility, please email us.
AFCEA Chapter Level Grants for STEM Teachers
AFCEA Chapters also provide grants to STEM Teachers. To apply through a participating AFCEA Chapter - Click here to find a Chapter in your local area.