Opportunities For Teachers of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers
Applications Open May 1, 2019
Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers are named after the foundation’s first executive director Vice Adm. Samuel L. Gravely Jr., USN (Ret.), who initiated AFCEA’s science and technology teach tool grants program. The AFCEA Educational Foundation is dedicated to providing support to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) students and teachers. Since 2010, AFCEA Educational Foundation has invested more than $1.2 million in teachers who are providing innovative STEM learning opportunities in their classrooms.
The Gravely Grants provide funding to elementary and middle schools in the United States to promote STEM innovation in the classrooms with emphasis on elementary academic programs. Grants are $500 to the school for the awarded program. This is a joint effort between AFCEA chapters and the AFCEA Educational Foundation to help augment the cost to students for activities or tools inside or outside of the classroom, such as robotics clubs, cyber clubs and other STEM related activities to promote STEM to students.
Guidelines for Gravely Grants for STEM Teachers:
1. The teacher must be teaching science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) at an elementary or middle school in the United States. Teachers working in schools with economically disadvantaged students will be considered first. The awards are not limited to public schools.
2. Selection will be based on the teacher's skills, his/her potential to use the funds well and financial need.
3. A detail proposal is required stating the following:
Title of program/project
Description of program/project
Number of students involved/impacted
Cost of program/project
How the funds will be used
4. A letter of recommendation from the principal of the school.
5. Grants are awarded in September for the 2019-2020 school year.
Deadline is July 31, 2019 to apply.
For general questions on eligibility, please email us.
AFCEA Chapter Level Grants for STEM Teachers
AFCEA Chapters also provide grants to STEM Teachers. To apply through a participating AFCEA Chapter - Click here to find a Chapter in your local area.
2010-2014 STEM Teacher Scholarship Winners