Applications Open January 1 - May 31, 2023
The AFCEA Educational Foundation offers ROTC scholarships ranging from $2,000-$3,000 each to Army, Navy (including Marine Corps option) or Air Force ROTC full-time sophomore or junior students studying a STEM major with at least an overall 3.0 GPA or above.
Note: There is one application form for all ROTC Scholarships; applicants will be considered for all AFCEA ROTC scholarship opportunities for which they are qualified.
VADM Jon L. Boyes Scholarship
The Dr. Jon L. Boyes, VADM, USN (Ret.) $3,000 Memorial Scholarship has been established to honor Vice Admiral Boyes' memory and accomplishments. Vice Adm. Boyes served as president of AFCEA International for 10 years, during this time he established the AFCEA Educational Foundation.
One $3,000 scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving Navy ROTC midshipman majoring in electrical engineering. Candidates must be at least second-year college students, enrolled full time as sophomores or juniors at the time of application. The scholarship has been endowed in perpetuity through the generosity of AFCEA International.
Mort Marks and Joan Bowden Scholarships
AFCEA Joan Bowden $3,000 ROTC Scholarship was established in 1987, by the Montgomery AFCEA Chapter Educational Foundation. The scholarship is in memory of Joan Bowden, 1984-85 president, and member of the board of directors of the Montgomery AFCEA Chapter. The Joan Bowden ROTC Scholarship is presented annually to an ROTC student attending a university located in the AFCEA Mid-South Region of the United States: to include, the states of; Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and northwest panhandle of Florida who is a student in the Air Force option.
AFCEA Mort Marks $3,000 ROTC Scholarship established by the Montgomery AFCEA Chapter Educational Foundation. The ROTC Scholarship is in memory of Mort Marks, a member of the Montgomery AFCEA Chapter who made many significant contributions and support to the chapter to further its Educational Foundation and benefactors. The Mort Marks ROTC Scholarship is presented annually to an ROTC student attending a university located in the AFCEA Mid-South Region of the United States; to include, the states of; Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and northwest panhandle of Florida student who is in the Navy or Marine Corps option.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
- Be a full-time college or university student at the sophomore or junior level.
- Freshmen and seniors are ineligible to apply.
- Be enrolled in an ROTC Program.
- Students must major in a STEM-related area of study in support of the mission of AFCEA. Qualifying STEM majors related to the mission of AFCEA include:
- astronomy, biometry/biometrics, computer engineering, computer forensics science, computer programming, computer science, computer systems, cybersecurity, electrical engineering, electronics engineering, geospatial science, industrial engineering, information science, information technology, information resource management, intelligence, mathematics, mechanical engineering, network engineering, network security, operations research, physics, robotics engineering, robotics technology, statistics, strategic intelligence and telecommunications engineering.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above.
- All applicants must be of good moral character; demonstrate academic excellence; have a financial need; and the potential to serve as an officer in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Scholarship awards are subject to availability of funding. Scholarships are to be used for tuition and course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses at the university for the school year.
Submissions must include the following:
- Completed Application: In addition to basic information, there are several short-answer questions.
- Current transcript: may be official copy issued by the school Registrar's Office or unofficial copy verified by applicant's ROTC unit.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: from faculty in the major of study. Have your references submit their letters of recommendation in pdf form via email to email@example.com.
- Letter of Nomination: from ROTC unit professor of military science, professor of naval science, professor of aerospace studies or designed commanding officer. Submitted by reference in pdf form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optionally, applicants may also submit a third letter of recommendation or résumé.
AFCEA Educational Foundation
4114 Legato Road, Suite 1000
Fairfax, VA 22033
If electronic submission is not possible, please send the official document to the AFCEA address listed above by the deadline.
Completed applications, including all supporting documentation, must be submitted by the posted deadline.