AFCEA War Veterans Scholarships: Undergraduate Only
Applications Open January 1 - May 31, 2023
The AFCEA Educational Foundation is dedicated to providing academic support to U.S. military personnel. The AFCEA NOVA chapter has partnered with the AFCEA Educational Foundation to make these awards possible.
Merit-based scholarships of $2,500 will be awarded to:
- Persons on active duty in the uniformed military services
- Honorably discharged U.S. military veterans (including Reservists and National Guard personnel) who deployed abroad in support of one of the Overseas Contingency Operations (Operation Enduring Freedom; Operation Iraqi Freedom; Operation New Dawn; Operation Inherent Resolve; Operation Freedom's Sentinel).
- Recipients must be currently enrolled and attending classes in an undergraduate program part time or full time in an eligible STEM major degree program at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States (see eligibility section paragraph 4 for list of acceptable STEM majors).
- Distance learning or online programs affiliated with a major U.S. institution are eligible.
- Scholarship awards are subject to availability of funding. Scholarship awards are restricted to tuition and course-related expenses, such as fees, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses at the university.
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizen currently enrolled and attending a four-year accredited college or university in the United States as a sophomores or junior at the time of application. Freshman and senior level students are ineligible to apply. You cannot apply the year you are graduating.
- Enrolled part time or full time in an eligible undergraduate degree program.
- Have an overall 3.0 GPA.
- Candidates must be majoring in the following C4I-related fields related to the mission of AFCEA:
astronomy, biometry/biometrics, computer engineering, computer forensics science, computer programming, computer science, computer systems, cybersecurity, electrical engineering, electronics engineering, geospatial science, industrial engineering, information science, information technology, information resource management, intelligence, mathematics, mechanical engineering, network engineering, network security, operations, research, physics, robotics engineering, robotics technology, statistics, strategic intelligence and telecommunications engineering.
- Served in Overseas Contigency Operations (from 2003 to present) - provide DD214 or Certificate of Service. Paperwork must verify deployment. Remove SSN.
War Veteran Teacher Certification Program
Students actively pursuing a credential/licensure for the purpose of teaching science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) subjects at a U.S. elementary, middle/intermediate and high schools are eligible. Current credential and licensure students must have completed a bachelor’s of science degree.
A link to the online application form is posted above. In addition to basic information, there are several short-answer questions.
In addition to the online application, other required documents include:
- Current official transcript(s) issued by the school registrar's office reflecting ALL undergraduate-level study
- At least two letters of recommendation from field-of-study professors. If that is not possible, we will accept recommendations from commanding officers/employers in the related field of study.
- DD214 or current service paperwork showing OCO service. Do not submit with SSN.
AFCEA Educational Foundation
4114 Legato Road, Suite 1000
Fairfax, VA 22033
Official transcripts reflecting all college-level study will also be required by the deadline date — electronic submission preferred. If your transcript does not show your classes in progress, please submit documents showing current classes.
If electronic submission is not possible, please send the official document to the AFCEA address listed above by the deadline. Applications must be complete, including all supporting documentation, by the deadline.
Optionally, applicants may also submit a third letter of recommendation and/or résumé.