The Cyber Edge is SIGNAL Media's home for the expanding world of cyber technologies. The Cyber Edge highlights threats and solutions built around interviews with key government/military and cyber leaders. Read the Cyber Edge at any time online; quarterly in the print edition of SIGNAL Magazine and monthly in the Cyber Edge newsletter.
To encourage individual thought leaders to share their knowledge with the AFCEA audience, each year SIGNAL produces The Cyber Edge Writing Contest. Writers address a unique theme and the top three submissions receive cash prizes and accolades. A panel of industry experts selects the winners.
Your ideas can change how nations secure the cyber domain. AFCEA’s The Cyber Edge Writing Contest offers writers of all stripes a chance to win money AND play a pivotal role in Revolutionizing Cyber Operations.
Submissions for 2023 is now closed.
Revolutionizing Cyber Operations. Cyber is a dynamic domain that evolves on a daily basis. For this year’s contest, we seek original news features, analysis or commentary articles on the innovations, tactics, technologies, policies or laws that might revolutionize operations for future cyber warriors.
- Explain the threat.
- Describe a solution and how it could (or is) alleviating current dangers.
- Report on activities that are either possible, necessary or already underway to implement the technology, program or concept.
- Word count should be between 1,200 and 1,600.
- Use a news writing style with the most important information in the first paragraph and direct attributions in the article where needed.
- Do not use footnotes/references. Only submit original writing.
- The article must not have been submitted elsewhere or have been previously published in any format either in print or online.
- Contest entries will be judged on content originality, alignment with the focus, writing quality and guideline adherence.
Enter your submission by February 15, 2023.
The top three authors will each receive a monetary prize and have their articles published by SIGNAL Media.
1st place — $5,000
2nd place — $2,000
3rd place — $1,000
Open to industry, academia, government and military at all levels and locations. Employees of AFCEA and their immediate families, or employees of the contest sponsor, are not eligible. Only one submission per individual name, regardless of author or co-author status. An author can include co-authors when submitting; however, regardless of the number of co-authors, only one prize will be paid, as shown above, per winning submission.
Past Writing contest Winners